(English) Ryotan-ji Temple
(English) Ryotan-ji Temple was remodelled in 1601 when Naosuke Ii, first castle lord of Hikone, moved to the area, and was established as his administration's special dojo for zen priests. Priests studying zen landscape gardening turned out in great numbers to come to Ryotan-ji Temple. The temple is most well known for its beautiful garden, "Fudaraku," with white sand and 48 stones, as well as its beautiful ink landscape painting of Mt. Horai, a Hikone City Designated Cultural Asset. In its main hall, Ryotan-ji Temple also features beautiful ink paintings by Kyoryoku Morikawa, a student of the famous Matuso Basho.
- (English) 1104 Furusawa-cho, Hikone City, Shiga Prefecture 522-0007
- (English) +81-749-22-2777
- (English) Open to viewing from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Until 4:00 p.m. from Mid-November to the end of February)